Thursday, February 2, 2012

Hello and Welcome...

Hello and welcome to my blog! I wasn’t too happy with my previous one so I thought with the new year, I’d make a new start with a new blog!

So I’ll start with a little bit about what I’ve done before and what I’m doing now.

My name is Danielle and I’m a fashion stylist working in London as first assistant to MAJOR stylist in the industry Alexis Knox! I love what I do and have just arranged to stay with her for a bit longer, as we have so many exciting projects to work on but it has been a challenging yet exciting road to get here!

I studied Fashion Promotion and Imaging at UCA in Epsom but never fully got to grips with education in that sort of environment… so if I could give advice to anyone who wants to get into the fashion industry, I’d tell them to skip the colleges and uni’s and do exactly that instead.Get yourself out there! Intern, assist, watch, learn, get your hands dirty and find out exactly what area it is that you want to specialize in. Put yourself in real situations with admirable industry experts and talents.

I can honestly say that I discovered so much more working as an assistant in a very short space of time than I ever did in four long years. That is not to say that fashion courses are useless or a waste of time but it just didn’t work for me as I have the attention span of a goldfish and couldn’t deal with writing 1’500 words on the hidden meaning of this image!!...

...haha!

My first proper work experience was in the costume department of hit ITV2 show Secret Diary of a Call Girl, working beneath some of the best in the business costume designers Edward K Gibbon and Jane Tooze. My uni had given us time away to do a placement and I loved every minute of it!

Then I was lucky enough to score an internship on the sixth series of The X Factor in late 2009, working for the fabulous Faye Sawyer! I spent my time on the show working on the dancers outfits at the weekends with my partner in crime Shai Spooner, who is now a respected stylist dressing Dappy and Fazer from N-Dubz! Styling the dancers was such a huge task so props to the assistants who were in charge of it! I contributed and learnt so much on that job, it was my little fast track to a styling career!

During this time I also had the opportunity to do a bit of work as a costume assistant on Skins up in Bristol so grabbed it with both hands and travelled up (is it up?) to stay with some family friends. I was right at home as it was the same team from Call Girl so had a great, albeit soggy, time helping out with costumes for the extras and doing checks on set for a few days!

After this I finished up at UCA (phew!) and then decided to take some time out to go and see some of the world just in case I didn’t get the chance again! Although I’ve now decided that I will be making time for more adventures after my trip of a lifetime to South America. So stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment